In this post, I will be reviewing one of my favourite TED Talk “Keep your goals to yourself by Derek Sivers” on the basis of multimedia principles, dual coding theory and cognitive load theory (Ted Talk, 2010). First, in terms of multimedia principles. The Ted talk used the redundancy principle for making the audience more engaging towards content by using graphics and narration simultaneously. Additionally, the video incorporates the personalization principles as the speaker uses the multimedia lesson with the conversational style in place for a formal approach towards the audience. In terms of dual coding theory, yes the TED talk used the Dual coding theory as it includes both visual and verbal information to present the information to the audience. The narrator or the speaker maintain the flow of verbal communication with the audience in a continuous manner while presenting the visual images for a better understanding of the content. Last, the cogitative load theory related to the memory load over the audience, the distribution of the whole information in a way that it doesn’t burden the audience with loads of information. In my opinion, the speaker maintains the information load by distributing the whole content or information in different form including images and verbal talk.

Ted Talk. (2010, September 02). Keep your goals to yourself | Derek Sivers. Retrieved from YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHopJHSlVo4